Jump to Navigation
View All Recent Results

Kansas City Uninsured Motorist Attorneys

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Claims in Car Accidents

It is alarming to victims of car accidents when they discover that the driver who hit them has no auto insurance or carries only the minimum liability coverage.

Are you stuck holding the bag? No. You are covered under your own car insurance policy for this scenario. However, insurance companies routinely fight these claims or offer a lowball settlement. You may need a lawyer to enforce your rights. Call us at 816-421-6868.

The Kansas City, Missouri, personal injury attorneys of Dempsey & Kingsland, P.C., have extensive experience with uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) claims. We will take your insurer to court if necessary to force them to honor their obligations, but in most cases we can extract a fair settlement.

Kansas and Missouri Attorneys for Underinsured Driver Claims

Even if another motorist caused your crash, your initial medical bills are paid by your personal injury protection (also known as PIP, Med-Pay or "no-fault") insurance. When PIP coverage is exhausted, the other driver's insurance pays for any excess medical costs, as well as damages for lost earnings, permanent disability, and pain and suffering.

If the other driver is not insured or does not have enough coverage to pay your losses, your uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist pays the remainder. At least that's how it's supposed to work. In reality, insurers play games with PIP and UM/UIM claims to delay, deny or downplay the payout.

Protecting Your Interests

Lee Dempsey and Bob Kingsland are veteran trial lawyers who are savvy to the insurers' tactics and the statutes in Kansas and Missouri governing these claims. We can step in to make sure you get fair and timely treatment:

  • In Kansas, you cannot receive payment from your UM/UIM policy until the other driver's carrier signs a waiver of liability. This trap in the law requires an attorney's expertise.
  • In Kansas, insurers cannot seek subrogation (reimbursement) of your PIP claims if you have out-of-pocket losses above and beyond the UM/UIM coverage. In Missouri, there is no subrogation of Med-Pay at all. These laws do not stop insurers from seeking reimbursement they are not entitled to. We can make them back off.
  • If your PIP/Med-Pay insurer is slow to pay your doctor bills, we can intervene to help.

Kansas City Uninsured Motorist Lawyers

Don't despair if the other driver was underinsured, but don't handle these claims yourself. Contact us today for a free consultation. We take no attorney fees unless we recover your rightful compensation.

Kansas City Dempsey and Kingsland Personal Injury Attorney Video

The attorneys at Dempsey & Kingsland handle personal injury cases. If you have been seriously injured, contact a lawyer in Kansas City, Missouri at 816.421.6868 or visit http://www.dempseyandkingsland.com

Contact US

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Free Initial Consultation and Case Evaluation | Home/Hospital Visits | Evening/Weekends By Appointment

FirmSite® by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.